My Gas/electric Bill Dropped From $250 To $74 A Month!
I'm on the budget plan. This way I can see what my billing will be for three months in a row. Some think that I've gone overboard, but I've learned how to save a lot of money. Here are some of the ways I have accomplished that.
1) In the winter my gas furnace is controlled by a Programmable Thermostat. When I'm at work, I have the heat just low enough so that my water pipes don't freeze. I set it to go to a comfortable temp an hour before I get home. It stays at that temp to do my nightly household duties.
2) When I retire to my bedroom, I have the thermostat programmed to go down to a lower temp again. I use a space heater then.
3) When I go to bed I use the â€˜3 dog night' method. I don't have any dogs so I use blankets. The colder the night the more blankets -- up to 3 if needed. (In the summertime it's fans or I go somewhere where there is AC if it is truly HOTâ€¦no AC in my house).
4) When it starts getting cold, I start covering my windows with plastic. Not every window at first, in case we still get Indian Summer weather.
5) I also use the energy saving light bulbs in all my light fixtures.
6) I have my TV, lights, computerâ€¦everything on the strip outlets. I turn them off at the strip when I'm not using them.
7) I unplug all of my small kitchen appliances for two reasons:
a) it saves on energy
b) a person can get shocked when cleaning the appliances like the toaster -- I learned a long time ago when the energy surged through my body and out my pinky finger. Scary!!
8) I drive the speed limit. It saves on gas (even going 5 miles over makes a difference). Driving the speed limit will also help from getting a speeding ticket.
9) I just now have started checking the air in my tires. Trust me I noticed a difference at the pumps.
10) I give energy saving bulbs as x-mas gifts. For one of my son's first anniversaries, I gave them energy saving bulbs and night lights. There is no need to turn on any light when using a night light.
11) To help spread the word I have passed this website on to friends and relatives.
12) My energy company sent me an informative paper that shows how each degree can save you money. I put it out at work so everyone can see.
I'm sure there are more things I do, but I hope what I do can help you save, too.
Sandra O. --