Top 10 Ways To Have A Green Thanksgiving
1. Car Pool!
2. Buy locally grown -- even if it's just one item.
3. Buy organic and biodynamic at your local farmers market and natural or conventional grocery store. Biodynamic means grown without genetic modification, synthetic pesticides or use of fertilizer made from sewage sludge.
4. Go light on the meat. Focus on eco-friendly vegetarian fare or at least organic meats. A Thanksgiving dinner has so many amazing sides, it can be delicious without the turkey!
5. Walk to your local grocery store or Farmer's Market.
6. Bring your canvas bags with you!
7. Decorate with organic gourds, corn, flowers and leaves.
8. Have friends and family bring their own bring plates and cutlery if you're serving more than you have place settings for. You can also use biodegradable plates and cutlery, or even rent! Just avoid paper or plastic.
9. Serve organic wine, champagne, beer, vodka, gin, or cider. Again, buy locally if possible. Use filtered tap water (instead of bottled) freshened with cucumbers, lemons, limes, or oranges.
10. Donate leftover food and decorations to a shelter or a food bank.