The Live Earth Green Team
The greening of at least seven venues across the world in a few months time is not a simple task, but it is loads of fun! Success takes persistence and passion, and as John Picard likes to say Ã¢â‚¬Å“Think about where you want to be, and push 100 times past it."
The Live Earth Green Team will not be able to implement every possible green strategy, but we will create a truly Ã¢â‚¬Å“greenerÃ¢â‚¬Â concert event on July 7th. We have already had success on many fronts and contributions by the many groups working on Live Earth.
Four sites have committed to use and sourced biofuels or have eliminated the need for small-scale generators altogether. And transportation Ã¢â‚¬â€œ which usually accounts for 1/3 or more of a concertÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s carbon footprint Ã¢â‚¬â€œ will be primarily by mass transit, bicycle (a truly carbon-free transportation solution), and carpooling Ã¢â‚¬â€œ due to simple programs implemented by the Live Earth promoters. The Sydney concert will sell an Ã¢â‚¬Å“integratedÃ¢â‚¬Â ticket Ã¢â‚¬â€œ a ticket that combines entry into the concert with free mass transit. The shows at Giants Stadium (New York) and The Cradle of Humankind (Johannesburg) will encourage carpooling by providing premium parking for those with full cars...and this is only a taste of the confirmed green improvements.
Over the next seven weeks, the Green Team will provide our readers with insights into our progress, venue visits, experiences, and challenges. Each venue is unique and provides its own opportunities and stories.
I want to introduce you to Live EarthÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Green Team:
* Josh Stempel is responsible for working with the sponsors and ensuring that sponsor activation and branding meets Live EarthÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s green guidelines. WeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re encouraging all our sponsors to further green internal company practices.
* Andrea Robinson will be the green manager for Giants Stadium as well as Live EarthÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s international NGO coordinator.
* Marina Mintz is a U.S. Green Building Council LEED-accredited professional and the green manager for Rio de Janeiro, Shanghai, and co-leading Tokyo.
* Elif Beall is the venue manager for Johannesburg and one of our satellite venues.
* Emma Harvey & The Climate Group lead the greening of the concert in the United Kingdom.
* Andrew Tatrai works with the promoters in Australia and leads the local Green Team in Sydney.
* Live Earth contractors: As part of the green initiative, Live Earth has hired experts to handle the waste management aspect of a few venues. More details to come.
* We also include the promoters from each venue in our team. The promoters make this event possible and give us the time and contributions to meet our greener standards
John Rego and John Picard are the Global Leads for the Live Earth Green Team, managing the greening of all 9 venues and the Live Earth organization. More about them in future posts! July 7th will be a day for us and the planet to remember.
John R., Live Earth Green Team