Sign our Petition for the American Clean Energy and Security Act
This September, the U.S. Senate will vote on the “American Clean Energy and Security Act” passed in the U.S. House of Representatives this summer. This landmark bill will revitalize our economy by creating millions of new jobs, increase our national security by reducing our dependence on foreign oil, and preserve our planet by reducing the pollution that causes global warming.
The bill contains the following key provisions:
- Requires electric utilities to meet 20% of their electricity demand through renewable energy sources and energy efficiency by 2020.
- Invests $190 billion in new clean energy technologies and energy efficiency, including energy efficiency and renewable energy ($90 billion in new investments by 2025), carbon capture and sequestration ($60 billion), electric and other advanced technology vehicles ($20 billion), and basic scientific research and development ($20 billion).
- Mandates new energy-saving standards for buildings, appliances, and industry.
- Reduces carbon emissions from major U.S. sources by 17% by 2020 and over 80% by 2050 compared to 2005 levels. Complementary measures in the legislation, such as investments in preventing tropical deforestation, will achieve significant additional reductions in carbon emissions.
- Protects consumers from energy price increases. According to recent analyses from the Congressional Budget Office and the Environmental Protection Agency, the legislation will cost each household less than 50 cents per day in 2020 (not including energy efficiency savings).
To galvanize domestic and global support, you’re invited to sign the Live Earth Climate Petition.
We will collect signatures through this petition throughout our campaign, forwarding the expression of global support to the United Nations, governments, corporations, and others who can help ensure the right to water.
CLICK HERE to sign the petition.