Save a Little Love for the Planet on Valentine's Day
Valentine’s Day is fast approaching! February 14th is Saturday and you want to be prepared, but while you’re at it why not show some love for the planet too. It doesn’t take much to green your Valentine’s gifts and festivities. You will be surprised at how much love you can spread around the world. Here are some great tips you can use to show your loved one you care about them, and the planet.
1. Buy valentine cards from local artists who make greeting cards out of recycled material.
2. Make your own valentine cards with recycled items and things from nature such as dried flowers, satin ribbons, fabric hearts.
3. If you like to dine by candlelight dine with eco-friendly fragrance free candles. Beeswax or vegetable based candles that are biodegradable and smoke-free are a good choice.
4. If you drink wine or champagne make sure it’s the organic kind and if there is a vineyard near by buy from there. You will be supporting a local business, cutting down the use of packaging for shipping and probably saving some money too.
5. Buy Organic or fair trade chocolates treats, (if you can buy from companies whose profits go to helping endangered species) or make your own chocolate treats with organic chocolates, nuts and fruits.
6. Buy lingerie made of hemp or organic cotton.
7. Wrap gifts in red fabric or recycled wrapping paper.
8. Don’t buy a vase of flowers. Buy instead a locally grown potted plant of red roses. Not only is this more environmentally friendly, but they also last longer. You can also go a step further and plant the roses in the ground for your loved one.
9. Gifts that are not materialistic: name a star after your loved one, buy a piece of the rain forest, make a donation in their name, etc.
10. Get really romantic, put on an organic apron and make a home cooked organic meal.
photo of free-trade chocolates by Green LA Girl.